Tuesday 10 February 2009

Mark from Belfast

Yes they do indeed. I was living a life of self destruction some 16 years ago.

I had descended into alcoholism and was the last to know about it even after losing two jobs and numerous relationships. Not knowing that alcohol was just a symptom of my problems I struggled in and out of AA where I was introduced to God via there twelve step programme, I have to say at this point that I am in no way spokesperson for AA just a member introduced to a God of love not a God of fear as I had presumed him to be because of my guilt complex at the things I had done and said whilst drinking.

I felt unloved and unloveable and how could this God love me. AA gently introduced me to a loving God through people who cared for me and helped me along the way. I was then introduced to my local church via an internet Cafe at the front of the church, Raymond McCullough you have a lot to answer for you and your CS Lewis LOL, a wonderful man and what a fantastic life he lived with all his books and his help to his american friend, Raymond isn't a bad guy either, LOL! oh and his wife too lovely lady. Raymond encouraged me and eventually I plucked up the courage to go to church. Meanwhile having realised that alcoholism was just a symptom.

I had to do something about it this took a lot of time patience and counselling both on my part and on my counsellors. My father left home when I was very small about 5 years old, I remember the Police taking him away as if it was yesterday. A very vivid picture remains of that day in my mind today and it can be emotional still.

I suffered other trauma in childhood which I also addressed over a long period of time. I used to think my mother did not love me as she never seemed to be there. I later discovered in recovery that she loved us, the five of us, of which I am the youngest, so much she held down two jobs to clothe and feed us. I love her today and am able to tell her that, we have a fantastic relationship today.

Through Bible study and lots of work today my life has turned around I am a working Civil Servant, I am studying at Queen's University having completed a Liberal Studies Diploma.

I am now studying "The Battle for Palestine" at Queen's.

I am applying to join the committee of Beneden a Private Health Society which helps the over burdened NHS for Civil Servants. I have just been promoted and am moving to my new job next week. I have travelled extensively in Europe and have been to the States and Thailand. I like to Paint today in Oils and am trying a little singing on my own at the moment, I love poetry and mathemantics and Chess.

I am involved with Christains United for Israel who do a great work.

I love walkiing and eating out and generally having a good time.

I love to laugh because for so long I cried. I love you mum and embrace you and thank you for being you.


God bless you all, and thankyou Andy for this opportunity to share my faith in a loving God and what he can do for you if you put a little faith in him anything is possible.

1 Corinthians 13
Psalm 91
Matthew 5 "Blessed are...

Let your light shine before men that they may see your good works..

"Think not that I am come to destroy the Law or the Prophets...."

No comments:

Post a Comment